We invite you to join the Practice-based Teacher Education Workshop July 16-18, 2018 in Ann Arbor, MI, an opportunity for teacher educators to see practice-based teacher education pedagogies enacted live in the University of Michigan School of Education (U-M SOE) Elementary Teacher Education Program and then try them out in workshops facilitated by TeachingWorks.
Throughout the workshop, participants will be able to:
- Observe mathematics teacher education in an elementary grade setting at the Summer Learning Institute (SLI) or language-focused teacher education in a elementary and middle school setting at the Summer English as a Second Language Academy (SESLA), partnerships between Ann Arbor Public Schools and the U-M SOE that offers summer learning opportunities for Ann Arbor elementary and middle school students and field experiences for U-M teacher candidates
- Watch and then practice facilitating pedagogies of practice that are foundational to these learning experiences, such as: rehearsals, a strategy for preparing candidates to teach in their field placements by creating initial opportunities to refine practice among peers
- Video-enhanced reflection/feedback/analysis of practice
- Embedded coaching with repeated opportunities for candidates to practice and integrate feedback in real time
- Learn how high-leverage teaching practices, content knowledge for teaching, and ethical obligations are infused in throughout a teacher education program, including methods courses and field work
- Explore the TeachingWorks Resource Library, an online collection of curriculum resources for practice-based teacher education
The workshop will take place from July 16-18, 2018 in Ann Arbor, Michigan.
Monday, July 16
Lunch will be served at 12:00 p.m. and the program will begin at 1:00 p.m. U-M SOE Dean Elizabeth Birr Moje will welcome participants with opening remarks. Participants will next learn about the key features of practice-based teacher education, including examining several high-leverage practices, exploring ways to introduce these to teacher candidates, and getting oriented to practice-based teacher education pedagogies. We’ll also learn about the Elementary Teacher Education program at U-M SOE, especially its summer learning partnerships with Ann Arbor Public Schools. The day will close with remarks from Deborah Loewenberg Ball and an opportunity to network with colleagues over dinner.
Tuesday, July 17
In the morning, participants will observe practice-based teacher education in action at either the SLI or SESLA (both summer learning partnerships between U-M SOE and Ann Arbor Public Schools). Participants will observe as teacher educators support candidates in preparing for and enacting field work with elementary students in mathematics (at SLI) and elementary and middle students in language-focused instruction (at SESLA). In the afternoon, participants will debrief their observations with the instructors, and examine other aspects of the instructors’ pedagogy. The day will close with a panel discussion featuring ideas from U-M SOE faculty who use practice-based approaches across different content areas in elementary and secondary teacher education. Additional information about this panel is coming soon.
Wednesday, July 18
Participants will engage in workshop sessions designed to give everyone an opportunity to try out facilitating the pedagogies they observed the previous day. Emphasis will be placed on practicing the work of the pedagogies and identifying opportunities to integrate them into upcoming coursework. The program will conclude at 1:00 p.m.
Registration: Please register here by June 1 (or earlier - there is limited space in the workshop and registration will be on a first-come, first-served basis). Limited scholarship funding is available; to request a scholarship, click here. Funds will be awarded on a first-come, first-served basis.
Cost: The cost of the workshop is $395. This includes lunch and dinner on Monday, lunch on Tuesday, and breakfast and lunch on Wednesday. It also includes bus transportation to and from field observations on Tuesday. It does not include travel, lodging, or other meals.
Travel: The closest airport is DTW. Ann Arbor is about a 30-minute taxi or bus ride from the airport.
Lodging: Graduate Ann Arbor, 615 E Huron St, Ann Arbor, MI 48104
To make a reservation, call 734-769-2200 and ask for in-house reservations. Once transferred, mention that the reservation is for the group U-M School of Education. This will enable you to pay a reduced rate of $179.
Frequently Asked Questions
Who is the audience for this workshop?
This workshop is intended for teacher educators interested in learning about and engaging in practice-based teacher education. The sessions will be relevant to field instructors as well as methods instructors. It will be designed for teacher educators new to working with TeachingWorks (not for teacher educators who have participated in previous TeachingWorks convenings).
Is this workshop for secondary as well as elementary educators?
The field observations will be of elementary instruction (SLI) and elementary and middle instructions (SESLA), but the pedagogies we work on will apply in secondary contexts too.
What content areas are appropriate for this workshop?
The field observations will be of mathematics (SLI) and language-focused (SESLA) instruction, but the pedagogies we will work on will apply across content areas. We will also hear from faculty who work in other content areas during other parts of the workshop.
Will similar workshops be held in the future?
This is the first time we are holding this type of workshop, but we hope to hold it annually in the future.