Save the date! The second annual Practice-Based Teacher Education Workshop, an opportunity for teacher educators to examine and try out practice-based teacher education pedagogies in workshops facilitated by TeachingWorks will take place July 8-10, 2019 at the University of Michigan School of Education, in Ann Arbor, Michigan.
The program will begin midday on July 8 and conclude in the early afternoon on July 10. Register for the program and learn more about program details and logistics here.
This year, in place of field observations, we will use artifacts of practice such as videos and transcripts, creating more time for teacher educators to practice teacher education pedagogies.
Throughout the workshop, participants will be able to:
- Examine high-leverage practices -- essential teaching skills for novice teachers -- such as building relationships with students, eliciting student thinking, and leading a group discussion
- Watch and then practice using teacher education pedagogies that can give novices opportunities to build their skills with teacher educators' support:
- Rehearsals, a strategy for preparing candidates to teach in their field placements by creating initial opportunities to refine practice among peers
- Video-enhanced reflection, feedback, and analysis of practice
- Using transcripts to analyze and practice practice
- Get oriented to the TeachingWorks Resource Library, an online collection of curriculum resources for practice-based teacher education.
The workshop will take place from July 8-10, 2018 in Ann Arbor, Michigan.
Registration: Please register here by Friday, June 7 (or earlier - there is limited space in the workshop and registration will be on a first-come, first-served basis).
Cost: The cost of the workshop is $395. This includes lunch and a reception on Monday, breakfast and lunch on Tuesday, and breakfast and lunch on Wednesday. It does not include travel, lodging, or other meals.
Travel: The closest airport is Detroit Metropolitan (DTW). Ann Arbor is about a 30-minute taxi or bus ride from the airport.
Lodging: A block of rooms has been reserved at Bell Tower Hotel at a rate of $199.00 per night as well as the Residence Inn Ann Arbor Downtown at a rate of $229.00 per night. Please reference TeachingWorks when reserving your room. You can reserve at the Bell Tower Hotel by calling (800) 562-3559 or by visiting their website. You can reserve at Residence Inn Ann Arbor Downtown by calling (734) 662-9999. Please book by June 8, 2019 to secure this rate. If you need more information, please feel free to call us at (734)763-8583.
Frequently Asked Questions
Who is the audience for this workshop?
This workshop is intended for teacher educators interested in learning about and engaging in practice-based teacher education. The sessions will be relevant to field instructors as well as methods instructors. It will be designed for teacher educators new to working with TeachingWorks as well as teacher educators who have participated in previous TeachingWorks convenings including last summer's workshop.
Is this workshop for secondary as well as elementary educators?
What content areas will be addressed in this workshop?
We will focus on English Language Arts and mathematics, but the pedagogies we will work on will apply across content areas.
Who can I contact with questions?
Contact Adina Lopatin at email@example.com.