In July 2020, TeachingWorks will launch a new certificate in practice-based approaches to methods course instruction in teacher education, designed for content methods instructors in teacher education programs. This one-of-a-kind 18-month learning sequence will enable teacher education methods course instructors to:
- Build facility with practice-based approaches for preparing new teachers such as video analysis and rehearsal that intertwine content knowledge, teaching practice, and attending to issues of justice.
- Develop competence and confidence in preparing new teachers who understand systemic inequity and who seek to use their teaching practice to disrupt patterns of injustice in classrooms, support bilingual students, and deliver culturally responsive instruction
- Join a powerful network of teacher educators who understand their role in supporting excellent beginning teaching in U.S. classrooms and are committed to continuously improving the instructional practice of their teacher candidates by first improving their own practice.
The learning sequence will include three in-person events and virtual coaching and webinars, and will lead to a certificate issued by TeachingWorks. Click below to learn more about the learning sequence’s learning goals, application requirements and procedures.
A Note on COVID-19
The Certificate in Practice-Based Approaches to Methods Instruction in Teacher Education will launch in early summer 2020 regardless of the status of the COVID-19 pandemic. The certificate has always been designed to be a “blended” learning sequence that combines in-person events with virtual interactions, and TeachingWorks is well-equipped to support remote learning. If we are unable to hold the first event, the Summer Institute, including the methods laboratory classes and the summer workshop, in person in Ann Arbor beginning on July 28, we will convert it to a virtual event. We will make that decision and post it on our website by May 1, 2020.
TeachingWorks will offer two webinars that provide information for interested applicants. These webinars will be recorded and available for anyone unable to attend. You can sign up to attend a webinar here. Webinars will be held on the following days:
- Friday, March 20, 12:00 p.m. EST
- Wednesday, April 1, 3:00 p.m. EST
The application to the 2020 cohort is available now. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis, with a final deadline of May 1, 2020. Applicants will be notified of their admissions status no later than June 1, 2020. The application will include a written portion, a letter of recommendation from a colleague, and a statement of support from a dean or department chair. Learn more and apply for the certificate learning sequence here.
Click here to sign up for an informational webinar session.
Click here to learn more and apply for the certificate learning sequence.